By Christophe Uwizeyimana
The Report from Rwanda authorities has indicated that during the night of 2-3 May 2023, prolonged and heavy rain in Northern and Western Provinces has caused landslides and floods in various districts.
1.Disaster effects include:
a) Deaths of 130 citizens from Rubavu (26), Rutsiro (27), Karongi (16), Ngororero (23), Nyabihu (18), Musanze (5), Gakenke (2), Nyamagabe (2), Burera (8), Gicumbi (3).
b) Injuries 77 among them 36 transfered to health facilities
c) missing: 5
d) Damaged houses: 5174 in total, Rubavu (3371), Nyabihu (427), Ngororero (192), Karongi (59), Rutsiro (758), Burera (128), Musanze (63), Gakenke (77), Gicumbi (56), Nyamagabe (3), Nyamasheke (11), Muhanga (22), Ruhango (6), Nyanza (1)
e) Houses at risk: 2510 including: Nyabihu (482), Ngororero (309), Rutsiro (186), Nyamagabe (205), Gakenke (1211), Gicumbi (117).
f) Damaged roads (8 National and 9 districts roads section, 26 bridges) mainly Muhanga- Ngororero- Mukamira, Rubengera- Gisiza.
g) Water supply systems
6 Water Treatment Plants flooded and not functional (Gihira in Rubavu, Nzove in Nyarugenge, Cyondo, Gihengeri in Nyagatare, Kanyarusage, Nyabahanga in Karongi).
h) 8 health facilities (2 health Posts, 5 health centers and 1 hospital (Shyira).
2. Response interventions undertaken
– Burial of 74 people, the remaining are in mortuary
– 1541 people have been evacuated and are currently hosted 11 sites (churches, schools, and others hosted by neighbours).
– 36 people injured have been transferred to health facilities for treatment.
– Debris removal of 5 national roads to ensure accessibility
– Relief assitance, including food, hygienic kits, bed kits, and kitchen set, are being transported to Ngororero, Rubavu, Rutsiro, Nyabihu and will be distributed to affected families tomorrow. However, for Rubavu households, evacuation will be given hot meals prepared at Nkamira Transit Center.
– 2 Water trucks were availed to supply water in Rubavu District.
– Water Treatment Plant flooded and not functional (Gihira in Rubavu, Nzove in Nyarugenge, Cyondo, Gihengeri in Nyagatare, Kanyarusage, Nyabahanga in Karongi).
– 14 health centres in Rutsiro inaccessible and not able to transfer to District Hospital
– Roads section blocked National roads( Muhanga- Ngororero- Mukamira, Rubengera- Gisiza), District roads class 1 Kiryi- Mubuga- Ruhondo, Giticyinyoni- Rushashi, Rutsiro- Kavumu- Kazabe).
4. Way forward/ Recommendations
i) Food and non food distribution
ii) Ensure Emergency shelter to evacuate people
iii) Water supply restoration in Rubavu, Nyagatare and Karongi Districts and parts of CoK.
iv) Ensure WASH services on evacuation sites
v) Continue evacuation of people in high-risk areas
vi) Ensure accessibility of affected transport infrastructures.
vii) Continue monitoring of the situation and coordination of Emergency Response across all districts.
viii) Mobilize resources to cover the needs.
5. Weather forecast
Heavy rains are expected to continue in Western and Nothern Provinces from 4th to 6th May 2023 (more than 20 mm per day), with the pick expected on 6th May in Gakenke District.